graduateshotline logo
Last Updated: January 31, 2024

Work Permit - Sweden

Sweden is a great place for people looking for work abroad, with its excellent welfare system, strong worker rights, and focus on innovation. It is a fantastic place that attracts people from across the globe be it for their education, work, tourism, or living, it has a charm of its own that cannot be missed out on. To be eligible to work in Sweden, an individual must apply for and receive approval for a Work Permit.

Eligibility for Work Permit

Candidates must fulfill a few requirements to apply for a Swedish work permit. They are listed below:

Types of Work Permits

Employed Worker Permit

Those who wish to work in Sweden as employed workers for longer than three months must apply for this permit. This permit is valid for a maximum of two years and can be extended for two additional years. The eligibility criteria for this permit are as follows:

Highly Qualified Workers

Highly qualified non-EU workers who wish to work in Sweden can apply for a residence or work permit in accordance with the general employee regulations. The permit is initially issued for two years but can be extended for an additional two years. The eligibility criteria are the same as the Employed Worker Permit.

Intra-corporate Transferee (ICT)

This permit is intended for non-EU managers, specialists, or trainee employees who wish to work in Sweden. To be eligible for this permit, the candidate must have been employed at the branch company located outside the EU for three months. The duration of this permit is one year, with extensions available for three years for managers and specialists and one year for trainees. The applicant must meet the requirements listed below to be granted an ICT permit:

International Service Provider

A non-EU national may apply for this permit if they want to travel to Sweden for brief business trips or to perform services for a partner company under the terms of an EU trade agreement. Business visitors for establishment purposes, Short-term business visitors, Contractual service suppliers, Independent professionals, and Investors are covered under this permit. A visitor's visa can be extended and has a maximum 90-day validity period. If the applicant has previously stayed in a Schengen country within the last 180 days, they must apply for a visitor's residence permit rather than an extension.

Seasonal Worker

Those who wish to work seasonally in Sweden may apply for a seasonal worker permit. This permit is only valid for six months out of a twelve-month period.

Self-employed Worker

This permit is intended for individuals who want to open a business in Sweden or take over an already-existing company. A work permit is not required for this purpose. The residence permit is granted for one year at a time for a two-year probationary period. The applicant must meet the following conditions:


The purpose of this permit is to provide postgraduate study access to visiting researchers who hold college or university degrees. They can only work for the research organization that hired them and do not require a work permit.


Students who intend to stay in Sweden for more than three months must have a residence permit, which allows them to work during their studies.


This program is for non-EU individuals who have received an offer for a traineeship in Sweden through an international exchange program run by organizations like AIESEC, IAESTE, JUF, and SACCUSA, or through agreements between Sweden and other nations like the USA and Canada on trainee exchange. Nonetheless, the applicant may apply for a regular Swedish work permit if their traineeship is not covered by such agreements or programs.


Those who wish to perform voluntary work in Sweden without receiving payment can apply for a visitor's permit.

Who Needs to Apply for the Work Permit?

EU nationals are not required to have a work permit in order to work in Sweden. Nonetheless, citizens of certain non-EU nations between the ages of 18 and 30 may apply for a working holiday visa. These nations are South Korea, Japan, Hong Kong, Australia, New Zealand, and Canada. Switzerland's citizens do not require a work permit for periods shorter than three months. Furthermore, certain fields don't require permits for applicants. These are:

Cost of Swedish Work Permit

The table below lists the expenses associated with obtaining various Swedish work permits as well as additional fees that people in particular fields must pay and other costs.
Work permitSEK 2,200
EU Blue Card, ICT permit, seasonal workSEK 2,000
Extension of work permitSEK 2,200
Residence permit for highly qualified persons to look for work or start a businessSEK 2,200
Self-employedSEK 2,000
PerformerSEK 1,500
Domestic WorkerSEK 1,500
Professional athletes and coachesSEK 1,500
Working holiday visa for young peopleSEK 1,500
ResearcherSEK 1,500
Trainee (through international exchange programme or agreement)SEK 1,500
VolunteerSEK 1,500
Seek employment after completed researchSEK 1,500

Steps to Apply for a Swedish Work Permit

Employer Beginning the Application Process

The applicant must first obtain a contract of employment from a Swedish employer. After that, the employer will begin the application process by giving the Swedish Migration Agency information about the employee's employment. An email with instructions on how to apply for a work permit will be sent to the applicant by the Swedish Migration Agency.

Gathering the Required Documents and Beginning the Application Process

The documentation needed for a Swedish work permit can change depending on the kind of permit, the applicant's nationality, and other factors. Nonetheless, the list of frequently needed documents is below: The application for a permit must be submitted online or by mail the Application Form to the Swedish Migration Agency, along with these documents and the required payment. The applicant will receive an email from the Swedish Migration Agency if more information is required.

The applicant must make an appointment and physically visit the Swedish embassy or consulate-general with their passport for¬ their fingerprints and photo to be taken.

Waiting For the Decision

The applicant must wait for the outcome of their application after having their biometrics and photos taken at the Swedish embassy or consulate. They will receive an email informing them of the outcome of their application.

After their fingerprints and photos are taken at the Swedish embassy or consulate, applicants who are granted the work permit will receive a residence permit card in 4 weeks. The residence permit card is issued at the time of the decision, but not more than three months before the residence permit becomes valid.

Extending the Work Permit

In Sweden, an applicant seeking to extend a work permit must provide proof that they complied with the following conditions for the duration of their permit: The applicant must provide a summary of their PAYE tax return from the Swedish Tax Agency for each year they have worked in Sweden in order to demonstrate that they meet all the requirements. The candidate may request an extension of up to four months before their permit expires if all these requirements are satisfied. Applying for an extension follows a similar procedure as applying for a new work permit. The applicant may apply online for an extension or by mail at the following address.
The Swedish Migration Agency
Box 3100
903 03 Umea

Workers' Rights in Sweden

People who want to work in Sweden should know what their rights are as foreign employees. The rights listed below apply to all foreign employees in Sweden:

Job Prospects in Sweden

The job market in Sweden is all about innovation, marketing, and more. The rights of the workers in this country are strong. The job prospects are also aligned with the high standards of living that prevail here. Not only are graduates and post-graduates warmly welcome in Sweden to grab jobs in multinationals, but also the nation offers major opportunities for entrepreneurs. Further, the prospects are supported by the availability of basic amenities, transportation, and other essentials for living in the country.

Be it in engineering, medicine, management, or business, jobs are no dearth in Sweden, for those who want to have an opportunity to work and earn here.

Entry of Dependents

Those who are citizens of non-EU nations and are related to someone with a work permit are eligible to apply for a residence permit for the same duration. They can also obtain a work permit if their permit is for a period longer than six months. The worker's spouse, cohabiting partner, registered partner, unmarried children under 21, and spouse are all considered family members. The worker's income must be sufficient to pay for their family's housing and other living expenses.

The individual with the job applies for the family through their own online application if they apply as a whole at the same time. Dependents of the worker who are already in Sweden may submit their own online application as family members from their home country or from any other country where they may reside outside of Sweden.

Some Things to Remember

Work Visa