graduateshotline logo - Home

United States visa types : F1, H1B, J1, L1, B1

J1 visa is for work and study related exchange programs.

Sometimes, a J-1 program will require that the beneficiary spend at least two years outside of the US (not in Countries Like Canada or UK) before being permitted to switch to a different non-immigrant visa or to permanent residency.

This program is administered by the US information agency (USIA), a division of the Department of State

To Obtain J1 Waiver
It is a 'specialty occupation' visa for temporary employment. Its duration is three years (initial request), and later it can be extended for another three additional years. There are restrictions for dependents (they may not work).
You cannot transfer H1B petition from one employer to another. The new company must apply for a new H1B visa with the Department of Labor with copies of CV, transcripts and other documents.

B1, B2
B1 Visitor for Business; B2 visa or visitor visa for Pleasure is available for coming to the US for business or pleasure. It can be granted from 30 days to 10 years (multiple entries with a maximum of 6 months stay in each visit) Nationals of some countries may be eligible to visit the US for up to 90 days without a visa.

L-1 - Intra-company Transfer Visas
L-1 visas are available to workers, executives, managers and specialized employees moving to their employer's US site. Spouse of L1 visa can work too. Executives and managers holding L-1 visas may be eligible for permanent residency without the need for a labor certification.

Permanent Residency-Employment Based ("Green Card")
  • First Preference Persons of Extraordinary Ability, Outstanding Professors, and Researchers, and Multinational Executives and Managers
  • Second Preference Persons Holding Advanced Degrees or Persons of Exceptional Ability in the Sciences, Arts or Business
  • Third Preference Skilled Workers and Professionals
  • Fourth Preference Employment Creation Investors

  • Student visa




    Australia/New Zealand


    Asian Countries