Singapore, one of the most popular destination among Asian countries for those students who dream of receiving a high-quality education at an affordable rate, has a different visa procedure to be followed. While getting a visa is relatively easy (when compared to the United States), if you are not prepared with all the necessary documents, you will get a rejection.
While the larger Indian crowd, lesser distance from the homeland and excellent facilities with top-notch University makes it an ideal destination for higher studies, get yourself acquainted with the visa process to ensure a smooth and trouble-free visa experience.
Why Study At Singapore?
- Singapore has many well-reputed Universities with the National University of Singapore (NUS) and Nanyang Technological University (NTU) ranked among the top thanks to their offering of a variety of high-quality courses, taught by the best in the field.
- Tuition costs are very reasonable.
- Cost of living is quite low.
- Singapore is one of the safest cities in the world.
- Job opportunities are high.
A General Look at the Visa Procedure:
- Once admission is obtained, the next step is to obtain a Student Pass or Visa to study in Singapore.
- The Student Visa is usually issued for the entire duration of study at the cost of 30-50 Singapore dollars.
- The Student Visa takes only about 10-15 working days to be processed and issued, but earlier applications are encouraged.
STEP BY STEP GUIDE INTO OBTAINING THE STUDENT VISA:
- A letter from the University confirming the students admit is necessary to be eligible to apply for the Student Pass. The application to obtain a Student Pass can be completed online at the Student Pass Online Application and Registration System (SOLAR).
- The applications are submitted to the Singapore Embassy in your country of Residence.
- The documents required to apply includes:
- Letter of admission from the University.
- Three Completed application forms and visa fee receipt. The visa fees can be paid only through Cheque or Demand Draft.
- Passport and a minimum of two recent passport size photographs.
- Proof of sufficient funds for the entire duration of the study. This includes bank statements, fixed deposits proofs, student or educational loans, etc.
- Birth certificate
- Academic Transcripts, Degree certificates, GRE and TOEFL/IELTS score reports.
- Statement of Purpose, Resume and three recommendation letters.
- Vaccination certificates as per the requirements of the University and the Country.
- Health and travel insurance (optional).
- Minimum of 2 photocopies of all the above documents.
- The Immigration and Checkpoint Authority (ICA) decides the status of the received applications.
- The visa processing will take a minimum of 15 days to a maximum of 4 weeks so sufficient time must be allowed for its processing and issue.
- an interview for issuing the visa is not part of the process, but if required it will be made known. Answer the questions confidently and to the point.
- The processed visa can be collected directly from the Embassy or through courier service.
- The visa application must be submitted to ICA two months before the start of the course.
- Incomplete applications will not be processed so care must be taken to submit all the required documents.
- In the case of online applications the progress can be followed online using the unique Transaction Reference Number.
- Student Visa recipients will not be allowed to work. The Singapore government has a strict rule that only students engaged in courses that have a duration of greater than two years are eligible to apply for work.
Studying in Singapore is an opportunity for aspiring students. Acquiring the Singapore's Student Visa can be made stress-free by carefully making ready all the required documents and following the visa procedures accurately.