graduateshotline logo

Rules to Remember while on F1 Visa

F1 Visa work permit

Persons pursuing a full course of study at a school in the United States may be eligible for a visa for the course of their study and, in certain instances, a period for practical training in their field.

International students who are maintaining a full-time course of study can work on campus part-time (max. 20 hrs per week) during the academic year and full time during the summer months and any periods when school is not in session. On campus, employment assumes that the work will not interfere with your studies and that you are maintaining good academic standing. No special permission or document is needed to permit you to work on campus.

Remember to File your Taxes!
Having a joint account etc is not recommended, it will add complications on your tax returns (like you need to pay interest earned on any income worldwide)


  • During the student's annual vacation period and at other times when school is not in session if you are currently enrolled and intend to register for the next term while school is in session, provided that the practical training does not exceed twenty hours per week.
  • after completion of course requirements (but before completion of a course of study) excluding thesis or dissertation if the student is in a bachelor's, master's or doctoral degree program after graduation or last term of attendance.
  • Applications for practical training are sent to the U.S. Immigration & Naturalization Service (INS). It takes the INS about three months to reply to a practical training application so students should plan well in advance for this kind of work permission.
  • NEVER ENTER the U.S. in any VISA STATUS OTHER THAN F-1 (for example H1B) while on your OPT (it will invalidate your OPT!)

    Traveling on F1-Visa

    In certain cases you might have to travel to India (during your coursework). It should be quite safe while traveling during your coursework. You might need stamping if your visa has expired. Always carry all your documents while going out of country.

  • Student visa




    Australia/New Zealand


    Asian Countries